• Instruction is delivered through an inquiry-based model of learning, integrating all subject areas
• Learners engage in independent research beginning in first grade through multiple technology platforms.
• Each unit incorporates cultural awareness and promotes thinking from global perspectives.
• Language acquisition is enriched through weekly Spanish instruction.
• International mindedness inspires learners to take action in their community or world.
• Learning is showcased through digital portfolios and learner-led conferences.
• Outdoor education through the Pinkerton Patch is an integral part of all core academic areas.
• Fine Arts instruction is authentic and hands-on helping learners make genuine connections.
“You don't just learn about your community, you learn about others around the world.” –Stella, 3rd Grade
The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme Is an Inquiry Based Learning Model that Focuses on:
• The whole child as an inquirer
• A learners academic, social, and emotional well-being
• Learners developing independence and taking responsibility for their own learning
• A framework guided by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance
• Fostering international-mindedness with the flexibility to accommodate the state’s curriculum (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills)
“The learners at Pinkerton are becoming more independent in their thinking, problem solving, and they have a genuine concern for helping our world become a better place." –Rhonda Pickrell, Educator
Learning is spiraled through the grades and aligned with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Units incorporate all content areas, including math, science, language and literacy, social studies and fine arts. There are six transdisciplinary themes that are covered in each grade level yearly. Here are some examples with their descriptors:
The greater depth of knowledge that is developed over the years provides the foundational skills that are necessary for study in all advanced content areas as well as for lifelong learning.