Enrollment for NEW families to Coppell ISD

    Welcome If you are new to Coppell ISD, you will need to set up an appointment through your school(s) to enroll. 

    Click here
    to find you address and the school(s) you are currently zoned.

    Please visit the school's website and select the New Students icon under the large rotating photo for additional instructions.

    CISD Enrollment Requirements and Information

    CISD General Enrollment Requirements

    Documentation needed at time of enrollment:
    *Campuses will not request school records before enrollment. 
    1) Proof of Residency in the Coppell School District  
    (a) Signed Settlement Statement (signatures required are the purchaser and the Title agent).  A preliminary statement for estimation of closing costs is not acceptable; Deed of Trust or
    (b) Current Signed Rental Agreement (signatures must be provided by both parties).  Agreement must show occupancy date 
    2) 1 current utility bill (electric, water or gas) Bills must contain the resident name and address--for electronic bills, please print a copy
    3) Student's social security card (if applicable) (bring a copy or campus will make copy)
    4) Student's State Certified Birth Certificate or Passport  (bring a copy or campus will make copy)
    • Parents can order a certified birth certificate at for $22 (the same price as a walk-in or mail order). This online service is offered in English and Spanish. The orders are fulfilled by the Texas Department of State Health Services. 
    5) Photo identification of parent/legal guardian (driver's license/passport)
    (a) a custodial parent will need to provide a copy of the divorce decree
    (b) legal guardian must provide court documentation
    6) Immunization Records (Texas state law will not allow any student to start without this) you will be rescheduled if your child does not have current immunizations. Click here for immunization requirements
    7) Withdrawal papers from previously attended school (if applicable)
    8) Most recent report card (the previous school can provide this)
    • please also provide current transcript (unofficial) for secondary students
    • *the campus will request OFFICIAL records from the previous school at a later date 
    9) A current email address for online enrollment purposes

    Special Circumstances

    • If a parent authorizes a relative or caregiver to assume educational responsibility please complete the "Authorized Agreement for Nonparent Relative or Voluntary Caregiver" form. *note, this must be notarized.
    • If a guardian's name is not on the lease or deed of residence because the guardian(s) and child(ren) are living with a CISD resident, please complete the  " Notarized Affidavit of Residence." *note, affidavits must be notarized.
      • Submit the completed affidavit to the secretary/registrar at your campus enrollment appointment
    • If a child(ren) is attending a CISD school because they receive after school child care from a grandparent, please complete the "Nonresident Notarized Grandparent After-School Care Affidavit.*note, affidavits must be notarized. 
      • Submit the completed affidavit to the secretary/registrar at your campus enrollment appointment
     *All affidavits and some forms are required to be notarized. Fraudulent documents are not accepted. If a fraudulent document is discovered, it will result in the immediate withdrawal of the student(s) from Coppell ISD.

    Help Me

    I never received an email with the snapcode or can't find my snapcode.
    If you can't find the email from "" with a subject line: Coppell Independent School District Returning Student Enrollment for (Student Name), please check your spam or junk folder. If you are still unable to find the email contact your campus secretary.

    Infosnap is unable to answer my question.
    Contact your campus secretary.

    I have a question.
    Infosnap has a “Contact Us” link at the bottom of every page (see the image below).  When you click the link, you will get a help page that has a number of topics that may be able to answer your question.  If not, there is an “Ask Us” tab on the left side of the help page and there is also a “Chat” button on the bottom left corner of the help page.

    Help! I’m having technical difficulties.
    Contact the InfoSnap Support Line toll free at (866) 752-6850 or Infosnap can help with resetting usernames and/or passwords as well as other technical support issues.

    I’m not sure how to answer a question. I don’t know what the question is asking. 
    You can contact your school/district by phone or email to ask any general questions about the form.

    I don't know my student ID number.
    You can find your student's ID number on his/her report card. Also, if you have the Coppell ISD mobile app you can find the student ID listed on the top of the profile page for your child.